Chocolate Lava Cake
Ingredients (for 2 ramekins of cake)
- 120g chocolate
- 37.5g salted butter
- 1 tsp coffee powder (can be omitted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk (if making single portion, for simplicity, just crack 1 egg and scoop out some egg white)
- 15g all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Melt chocolate and butter and mix together until smooth (one simple hack is to put these in a bowl and leave it inside the oven while it preheats, of course keeping an eye to make sure it just melts and does not burn)
- Let the mixture cool (to avoid eggs from getting cooked)
- Add vanilla extract, eggs and flour, mix well
- Line ramekin base with a square of baking paper
- Line inner walls of the ramekin with a strip of baking paper (making sure that the bottom edge of the strips are tucked on the inside of the base paper as opposed to being in direct contact with the base of the ramekin)
- Pour in the mixture and let it sit in the fridge for 10-15mins (or freeze for overnight)
- Bake for 10-14mins. Externally, it should look cake-like and firm – the moment it looks like a small cake, take out and let it cool. If it was frozen overnight, it takes closer to 15-20mins to achieve the same texture.
- Gently remove the long side strip and try not to break the cake – it should come out relatively cleanly and easily
- Place a small plate on the top of the ramekin and flip it over to get the cake sitting on the plate.
- Remove the baking paper that was on the cake and serve!
If it’s not already obvious, best served with vanilla ice cream 🙂
Original Recipe from HeyRozz